Monday, October 17, 2005

¡Toros!

We had an awesome adventure Friday night. For awhile we have been looking out for signs announcing a local bull fight (corrida)- we thought it would be a great cultural experience. We were excited when we saw some announcing one that was taking place practically next door at the Plaza del Toros- el Relicario. We got there and were enjoying the atmosphere, and people watching before it began. I think my favorite thing about it was that women and children enter free of charge! We waited for it to begin anxiously. I had read up on bull fights before hand, and also knew what to expect because of my experience in Spain (though I never actually attended one live), but Kizzy really had no idea. In my reading, I learned that while considered a sport, it is not a sport in the sense that the best team wins. It is more of a blood sacrifice. The tradition came over from Spain in the 1500’s, and arrived in Spain in the 1300’s with the conquering Moors. It is actually an ancient custom originating on the island of Crete. Anyway, we enjoyed the spectacle of all the fighters parading around the ring, with a few coming out on armored horses. The costumes were elaborate, and the colors were bright. Once the first bull came into the ring, and the torreadores waved their capes around, narrowly missing getting jabbed by the bull, the stakes were higher, but we were still enjoying ourselves. But when the matador on horseback started stabbing the bull to death, we were no longer so enchanted. Kizzy covered her eyes, and said she had had enough while I snapped a few photos before we headed out. We were probably there for about 20 minutes of the actual show (good thing it was free!) but I think it was enough to get the cultural experience, which is what we were really after in the first place.
We came home on time to get ready for the dance we had planned to go to, and a short time later, our friends came and picked us up. We headed to a stake dance, which turned out to be a lot more fun than the first one we went to (maybe because now we actually know how to dance…) and then after that, a big group of us went to a club called la Rumba, which turned out to be a really cool place. There was a huge waterfall behind the stage, and live music. The dance floor was crowded, but it was really fun. At one point they threw sombreros out onto the floor, and Kizzy and I each got one. During another song, tons of confetti rained from the ceiling. It was super fun, and I felt really comfortable there. The down side of the night was when a girls in spiky heels totally stepped on my foot. It still hurts (and has turned into a beautiful bruise), but I think I’m actually really lucky that it’s not broken. It was a lot of adventure for one night. We’re putting down roots here in Puebla, and I think I’m really going to miss it when we go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home